ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Groundwork Buffalo’s Green Team is seeking young adults, ages 18-24, to be Senior Green Team members in a paid training program. Through the GWB Sr. Green team program, you will develop job and leadership skills by working on a variety of community-based agriculture projects and hands-on learning experiences. This program will lead you through the construction, cultivation and operation of market gardens and farm stands through in-classroom workshops and hands-on growing.
Over the course of 4 months, Sr. Green Team members will:
- Learn to grow, cultivate and sell produce in different city environments
- Manage and maintain a neighborhood garden
- Work on operating urban farms and mobile markets
- Learn work readiness and transferable job skills
- Be introduced to careers in the food and agriculture industries
- Learn all things aquaponics
Summer Internship, June 8 – September 25* (all dates TBD due to current COVID-19)
Garden planting and maintenance at the Community Garden at Humber and East Delavan Avenues.
Summer Internship, June 8 – September 25
- 20 hours / week, Monday-Thursday
- $12.50 / hour
- Rotation between the Community Garden Humber and East Delavan Avenues to cultivate and possibly sell/donate produce, work with market employers at the African Heritage Food Cooperative, learn all things Gro-Op at the Clinton Bailey Market, build and revamp all beds with UB urban studies.
- 18 – 24 years old.
- Interest in gardening, food sources, urban agriculture and/or environment.
- Interest in working to improve access to affordable and healthy food in Buffalo neighborhoods.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions with a positive outlook.
- Ability to stand for long durations and lift 50 pounds.
- Desire and ability to work with people in different capacities and environments (such as working as a member of a farm crew and in customer service).
- Professional and courteous attitude towards diverse and sensitive populations.
- Available to complete Spring Training workshops and garden preparation (timetable TBD depending on current COVID-19 issues).
- Transportation to training and sites is the responsibility of the Crew Member.
- Bi-lingual applicants welcome.
If you have any questions about this program and position, please contact Racheal Tarapacki at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716.984-9516.
Applications must be received by Monday, May 1, 2020.
Email applications to: email@example.com
This program is made possible through a partnership between the following organizations working to prepare the next generation of food/agriculture industry professionals:
Groundwork Buffalo (GWB): Green Team Program management and youth employment.
Employer Partners: Internship placement at the African Heritage Food Cooperative CAO of WNY, UB urban studies & Gro-Op.
Delavan-Grider Community Center: The Center will provide classroom space, place to store lunches and tools and be the home base for the program.